Resources for those educators wishing to learn more about blogging for themselves and/or their students.
Compiled by JBlack, Jan. 2008, while preparing a presentation and a hands-on workshop on educational blogging
What is Blogging?
1) Blogs in Plain English
2) What exactly is a blog anyway?
3) Back to School with the class of Web 2.0
Blogging Statistics and Research
1) Important Blogging Statistics
2) Pew Internet Blogging Report
3) Pew Internet Teens and Social Media
4) ERIC Research Abstract on Student Blogging
5) Motivation For Writing Through Blogs
6) Summary of Research on Edublogging, Jeff Felix, Ed.D.
7) CNet's Report: Girls blog, boys post video
Which Free Hosted Blogging Platform to Use?
**Hosted Blogging Platforms are great to begin with – very, very easy to use; reside on a host computer somewhere else. I highly recommend these to start your educational blogging experience.
1) Edublogs – Free,video tutorials found here
2) Blogger - Free, simple, reliable, written tutorial here , video tutorials here
3) WordPress.org - Free
4) Blogmeister - Created by D. Warlick for educators and students
Ratings/Critiques of Blogging Platforms
1) Blogging Options for Educators
2) PCWorld Blogging Platform Ratings
3) Quick Overview of Blogging Platforms
Educational Rationale for and Pedagogy of Blogging
1) Rationale for Educational Blogging by Anne Davis
2) Quotes From Blogging Teachers by David Warlick
3) Blogging Vs. Writing by Clarence Fischer
4) Blogs as Conversations by Patrick Higgins
5) Educational Blogging; What, Where, Why and How by Troy Hicks
6) Celebrate Blogging by Steve Hargadon
7) Sample Blogging Assignments -ISTE Aligned by David Warlick
8) Connect the Dots: Students, Blogs, and the Nobel Peace Prize by A. Carvin
9) Blog Rules by David Warlick
10) Educational Blogging by Stephen Downes
11) Talking About Educational Blogging with Wider Audiences by Wesley Fryer
12) Why blog as an administrator? by Scott McLeod
13) Educational Blogging on BBC by Ewan McIntosh
14) How to Get Something Out of Educational Blogs by Dana Huff
15) Classroom Blogging: 2nd Edition by David Warlick
16) TILT Episode 9 - Educational Blogging, Part 2 by Danny Maas
17) Reflections on the Austrailian Blogging Conference and Blogging in Education by Tama Leaver
18) Making Assessment Personally Relevant by Konrad Glogowski
19) It's Not About Web 2.0 - It's About Learning by Jeff Utecht
20) A Vision for Classroom Blogging - Anne Davis
21) 20 Reasons Why Students Should Blog - Anne Mirtschin
22) Bloom's Taxonomy Blooms Digitally - Andrew Churches
23) ISTE NETS*S - Educational blogging supports many of these standards
Student Safety and Responsible Blogging
1) Social Networking and Security for Kids by Cindy Seibel
2) A Proposal for Banning Pencils by Doug Johnson
3) Blogging Rules by Bud Hunt
4) Responsible Blogging by C. Miller
5) Blogger's Contract by David Warlick
6) Discovery Blogging Rules by ?
7) Online Consent Form - Holicong Middle School
8) Keeping Students Cybersafe - Anne Mirtschin
Evaluating Blogs – Rubrics
1) Blog Refection Rubric
2) Comprehension and Analysis Blog Rubric
3) Research Blog Rubric
Suggested Blogs Readings on Everything Web 2.0 and Education
2) Long list of teachers-turned-bloggers as a means of professional/personal educational reflection -- http://del.icio.us/tag/discoverourvoices
Classroom-created Blogs /Student-created Blogs
*The below list is from http://supportblogging.com/Links+to+School+Bloggers
http://classblogmeister.com/blog.php?blogger_id=40878, Gordon Brune's 5th graders in Mamamroneck, NY (USA)
5/6NT Blog (Nathan Toft, Ottawa, Canada) Grades 5 and 6
A New Adventure, Technology
A Room 29 Classroom Blog, Year 5 and 6 children Balmoral School, Auckland, New Zealand.
Al Upton and the miniLegends, (Year 3 - Glenelg, South Australia)
Applied Math 40S
Arty Reflections ,Year 4 - NSW ,Aust , Focus: creative and critical analysis using de Bono's Hats of student artwork
B2's Blog - A Class of 6-7yr Olds, Teacher = Mr Lietze. New Zealand (Updated weekly and is current)
Blogging in College: Gender & Pop Culture's Blog Experiment, The home of the big blog experiment!
Bud's Blogging ExperimentBugmania,Year 4 -NSW, Aust . Focus: A group of year 4 students who are passionate about bugs have created their first ever wiki. These students would love to hear from other students who are also passionate about the world of bugs!!! )
CILASS Student Blog by University of Sheffield Student Ambassadors of the Centre for Inquiry-based Learning In the Arts and Social Sciences (England)
Class 2i Reads and Writes! by a class of Year 2 students in Geneva, Switzerland
Class of Ambrose, a 5th grade classroom blog, mathcast, podcasts, and wiki from Detroit, MI)
Collaboration Nation, Team Blog with links to individual student blogs -- 8th Grade Connecticut
College English, Beth Ritter-Guth, Lehigh Carbon Community College
Dekita. org, gathers ESL/EFL posts from around the world
ESL Bullying BlogExcellence and Imagination,Grades 7 and 8
Free Range Thinking, teacher and student blogs, 11th Grade English, Northridge CA
Get Lost, a video travel blog being created by middle school social studies teachers.
Grade 8 Humanities , class and student blogs created by Gary Coyle's classes at the American Embassy School - New Delhi, India
Grade 7 Math Blogorama at Sargent ParkHow Beautiful You Are, a 1st Grade Class in Oxnard CA blogging about their year,Hueneme School District with Projects, Books, pictures, words of the Day , and expanding as we go, Mrs. Sarah Puglisi's Room 10
In Need of Coffee, High School Literature
Interactive Chatting Teddies, a collaborative blogging project in Argyll Scotland involving children in P1-3 (ages 4-8) and their teddy bears
ISS07, an International Space Station Project: Students from around the world blogging with astronauts onboard the ISS, learning about life and work in orbit.
I Think...., Middle - Upper Primary -NSW, Aust, Focus: Having students respond to online statements and then formulate arguments. Links to exposition and discussion text types in English
ITGS Forum , discussion and resource sharing for the Information Technology in Global Society class (Grade 11 and 12)
Josh's Amazing Blog, Wellington, New Zealand student blogs
Kathy Cassidy's Grade one classKindergaten Tales, Cindy Blakely
Manaia Kindergarten, Tania & Bev in New Zeland
Math306-04, Grade 9 math class
Mirror Mirror, Year 4 -6 -NSW, Aust, Focus: Encouraging reflective thought during an independent learning project
Miss Baker's Biology Blog, 9th biology and AP Biology
Moturoa Classroom, a year four and five class from Nelson, New Zealand
Mullum Writers, showcasing the work of the talented young writers at Mullumbimby Public School. NSW Australia (K-6)
Mr. Abe, a blog for his Math classes at Restoration Academy, Fairfield, Alabama
Mrs. C's Senior English Blogs, Senior English class blog in the Tiny Kingdom of Mtn. Brook, Alabama
Mr. Belshaw's Student BlogsMr. Mayo's Student Weblogs, (Online Portfolio's) 100+ student blogs used in an 8th grade Language Arts class.
Mrs. Perry's Blog, fourth grader's blog network at St. Leonard Elementary School.
Mrs. Perry's 2005-6 Blog, fourth grade blog focusing on interaction with Guest Experts in different fields (astrophysicists, test pilot, veterinarian, & Broadway musical star) along with student interaction with curriculum content.
Mr. Miller's English 10 homework blog, writing and thinking assignments for high school sophomores
MR. Sigler's Class Page - 3rd Grade class page blog in Carl Junction, MO mainly intended for parents.
Mr. Watson's Classes, sophomores in Honolulu keeping online commonplace books.
Mrs. Watson's ClassesMs. Mercer's Class Blog, a blog for a fifth grade class, but is no longer active. It's a nice example though.
Oak Ridge Elementary Sixth Grade, sixth grade (11 yo) from Sacramento, CA
Oak Ridge Elementary Fifth Grade, fifth graders (10 yo) from Sacramento, CA
Oak Ridge Elementary Fourth Grade, fourth graders (9 yo) from Sacramento, CA
Ontario Blogs, elementary and secondary school students from across Ontario, Canada, all "writing to learn"
PAWriting, early Secondary School writing from Perth Academy, Scotland.
Picture Talk Blog, excellent blog that focuses on visual literacy - Primary Setting , AUST
Pre-Cal 20SPre-Cal 30SPre-Cal 40S (Winter '06), teacher Darren Kuropatwa
Priestsic6, class blog from a Year 6 class at Priestsic Primary and Nursery School, Nottinghamshire, England
Portablec.com (our wiki site with a link to our blog) Elise Mueller
Puzzling Maths Problems (Year 4 - NSW, Aust, Focus: Problem solving strategies in Mathematics)
Room3tai Year 7 & 8 class blog, Te Awamutu, New Zealand (with links to individual student blogs). Teacher Lynne Crowe
Room16 Math Grade 8 Class math blog Uses blogger, teacher Chris Harbeck
Room17 Math Grade 8 Class math blog Uses blogger, teacher Chris Harbeck
Room 41 Math Grade 8 Class math blog Uses blogger, teacher Chris Harbeck
Room73 Math Grade 8 Class math blog Uses blogger, teacher Chris Harbeck
Room 208 (Grade3/4 class)
Room 110 Blog - 9th Grade students from Central New Jersey
Room 613 Student Blogs - written by Mr. Hetherington's 6th Grade students
Room One's Blog - Class blog by year 2/3 students at Mapua School in New Zealand - not in use anymore but a good example
Room 9's Class Blog - Class Blog by year 2/3 students at Nelson Central School in New Zealand - current
Roomtwelve.com - third graders from Seattle, WA
Sandaig Otters Sandaig Primary School Glasgow, Scotland.
Sargent Park's Grade 8 Math Zone Class hub for blogging assignments and news
Secret Life of BeesSCC English : English Department of Irish secondary school, St Columba's College, Dublin 16.
Science Matters Science, Technology, and Society Connections (Richibucto, New Brunswick, Canada Grade8)
Seufert's Scholars - 5th Grade class blog from El Paso, Texas
SidneyMedia - 12th Grade media class from Sidney, NY Mike Dionne
Sixth Grade Teachers - sixth grade teachers blog in Atlanta, GA with links to 46 student blogs
Spells Grade 9 humanities/Literature class blog from Korea International School, Seoul (student blogs on blogroll on right sidebar)
Teaching in the Inner City, Ideas and Inspiration for Inner City Teachers
Tell the Raven - Grade 6 classroom blog from Fairbanks, Alaska
The Blurb - A student blog and podcast program debating current event issues.
The ClemMiddle School Language Arts
The FCE Blog (Claudia Ceraso) A student's guide to autonomous English language learning.
The Mattson Daily - Stories, poems, opinions and the daily events of fourth grade students in El Paso, Texas.
The Sausage Machine, leerblog van Janien Benaets en de jeugd van tegenwoordig, Antwerp, Flanders, Belgium.
The V Posse Journal (Amy Vejraska's 3rd graders' class blog in Branson, Missouri)
The Write WeblogVamos Blogar, blogging project for children in Brazil's poorest and most violent slums
Westwood Schools - Uses classblogmeister, teacher: Vicki A Davis
Year 6/7 Blog (and podcast)
Grade 7 Language Arts - Teacher: Sid de Haan, Edmonton, Canada
Room 167 - High School Social Studies
Write On! Mr. Monson's Grade 5 Classroom Blog Join our class in this amazing, online world! (Check out our wiki too!)
Portable Radio (Nathan Toft and Jane Smith) - A podcast made by students in grades 5 and 6. We are from Ottawa, Canada.
Additionally, a large List of Language Arts Examples can be found at: http://adavis.pbwiki.com/Language+Arts+Examples
Best Blogs, all topics, 2007
Places to Find Blogs of Personal Interest
Google Blog Search
Blog Add-ins/Widgets – Items that can be added to student blogs
1) Clustrmaps.com - Creates visitor map to add to your blog
2) Amung.us - Creates visitor map to add to your blog (similar to above)
3) MakeBeliefsComix.com - Create online comic strips to add to your blog
4) StatCounter.com - Create an invisible web tracker that gathers real-time hits and stats.
5) Feedjit - Arrivals and Departures Widget - Creates a log of your traffic telling you where exact web location viewer came from and where they go upon exiting your site.
6) Widgetoko - Website devoted to all things widgety; you name it, they probably have it
7) Neowork.net - More online visitor counters and maps
8) Widgetbox - Every widget under the sun for your blog
9) Tag Cloud for Blogger - Generates a tag cloud of most used terms in posts
10) Widget Gallery of Wigipedia - More widgety things for your blog
11) Dashboard widgets - Lots of widgets, but site is a little strange -- sometimes you must choose a category and then scroll way down to see available widgets
12) Animoto.com - slick, professional video-like slideshows to embed in blog posts (not a true widget - more of an embeddable component for your blog)
13) Onetruemedia.com - Powerful online slideshow creator that is high customizable for blog posts (not a true widget - more of an embeddable component for your blog)
14) Gabcast.com - Creates podcasts using your cell phone; can embed resulting podcast into your blog (not a true widget - more of an embeddable component for your blog)
15) Voicethread.com - Creates online presentations using voice/text in a collaborative fashion (teachers get a free account!) You embed these in your blogging posts (not a true widget - more of an embeddable component for your blog)
Promoting Your Blog
Monday, January 7, 2008
Resources for those educators wishing to learn more about blogging for themselves and/or their students.